We are proud to offer, for the first time, fiber hemp in three formats: green, unretted stalks; water-retted straw; and dew or ground-retted straw.
Green hemp is sold by the bundle whose stalks are cut and tied in the field.
Water-retted hemp is sold by the pound. We submerge the stalks for four days in warm pond water at the height of summer heat to speed the growth of the bacteria that eats the pectin that binds the fibers to the stalk. Water bleaches the fibers to a whitish blond color.
Dew or ground-retted hemp is also sold by the pound. We lay the stalks on our mown hay pasture in long rows. We turn it weekly and the hemp is ready in approximately six weeks, when the fibers separate easily from the stalk when bent. This process turns the hemp a silver--gray color.
Hemp straw is shipped in four-foot boxes. The United States Postal Service has approved the shipping of fiber hemp that has been deseeded. Depending on the amount ordered, we either remove the seeds by hand or cut off the tops of the plants that contain the seed. Taller hemp plants are available but only when picked up here at the Hermitage in central Pennsylvania and they are also deseeded. We do not ship hemp longer than four feet.
1. Green, unretted hemp stalks. $8 per bundle.
2. Water-retted hemp straw. $12 per pound.
3. Dew or ground-retted hemp straw. $12 per pound.
4. Tow hemp fiber, natural gold color: quarter pound, $8; half pound, $14; full pound, $22.
5. Hemp shives. Canadian machine-processed hemp shives. Shives are what's left over in hemp processing after the usable fiber has been removed. It contains at least 30 percent chaff and has many uses, including doll stuffing; traditional pillow and mattress stuffing; and upholstery stuffing for traditional furniture making. It is also useful in taxidermy, especially for stuffed birds, and helps aerate soil in gardens and pots. It is not appropriate for any fiber use due to the high chaff content.
$6 per pound.
$5 for four to nine pounds.
$4 for 10 pounds or more.
A Hemp Fact Sheet, including how we grow, ret and process hemp at the Hermitage, is included free of charge with every order,
I charge what I pay for the special straw shipping boxes needed for the hemp.
Shipping is via USPS Priority or Retail Ground (formerly Parcel Post). Contact me for shipping prices based on the quantity and speed you want.